- Ph.D., Operations Research, University of California, Berkeley,1996.
- M.S., Operations Research, University of California, Berkeley, 1993
- B.S., Mathematics, Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA, 1992
Simulation, Telecommunications, Air Transportation
- Selected Articles
- J. Shortle, M. Fischer, and D. Gross,"Using the Transform Approximation Method to Analyze Queues with Heavy-Tailed Service" to appear in Journal of Propagations in Probability and Statistics 2002.
- J. Shortle, "Dynamic Call Blocking Algorithms for Telecommunications Networks", to appear in IEEE Transactions in Communications, 2002.
- D. Gross, D. Masi, J. Shortle, M. Fischer, and P. Brill,, "Using Quantile Estimates in Simulating Internet Queues with Pareto Service Times", in Proceedings of the 2001 Winter Simulation Conference, B.A. Peters, et al., Eds., Arlington, VA, 477-485, 2001.
- J. Shortle, D. Dietz, P. Katz, C. Williamson, J. Koehler, and A. Elcan, "Optimal Design of a Data Offload Network," Interfaces 31, 4-12, 2001.
- J. Shortle, and M. Mendel "Physical Foundations for Lifetime Distributions," System and Bayesian Reliability, Y. Hayakawa, T. Irony, M. Xie, Eds., World Scientific, 257-265, 2002.
- J. Shortle, and M. Mendel, "A New Method of Drawing Probability Densities," Computational Statistics and Data Analysis 32, 313-321, 2000.
"J. Shortle, and M. Mendel, "Predicting Dynamic Imbalance in Rotors," Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics 11, 31-35, 1996.
- Professional Awards
- Daniel H. Wagner Prize for Excellence in Operations Research Practice, "Optimal Design of a Data Offload Network," (J. Shortle, D. Dietz, P. Katz, C. Williamson, J. Koehler, A. Elcan), 2000.
- Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award, "Performance of the Neal-Wilkinson Model with Internet Traffic." 2001.
- National Science Foundation, 2002
- Previous Positions
Technical Staff, Mathematical and Statistical Modeling, U S WEST, 1997-200