- D.Sc., Operations Research, The George Washington University 1975
- M.BA., The George Washington University, 1971
- B.A., Mathematics Rutgers University, 1969
Combinatorial Optimization, Auction Theory and Design, Global Optimization, Mathematical Modeling, Analysis of Algorithms, Software Testing
- Impacts of Microcomputers on Operations Research (co-edited with Saul Gass, Harvey Greenberg and Warren Langley) North Holland Press (1986)
- Computational Mathematical Programming (co-edited with R. H. Jackson and J. Telgen) Mathematical Programming Study 31, North Holland Press (1987)
- Selected Articles
- "The Bandwidth Packing Problem: A branch-cut-and-price approach" to appear in Mathematical Programming Series C, 2002.
- "Combinatorial Optimization: History and Future Challenges", Journal of Applied and Computational Mathematics,124 (2000) 341-360.
- "Set-covering, packing and partitioning problems" (with Manfred Padberg) Encyclopedia of Optimization (2000)
- "Integer and Combinatorial Programming" (with Manfred Padberg) Encyclopedia of Operations Research (2000) 76-83
- "An integer-programming approach to solving a latin-hypercube sampling problem" (with C. Harris and L. Yarrow) O.R. Spektrum (1995).
- "Solving large-scale crew-scheduling arising in the airline industry" (with Manfred Padberg) Management Science 39 657-682 (1993).
- Improving LP-representations of Zero-one Linear Programs for Branch-and-Cut" (with Manfred Padberg) ORSA Journal on Computing 3 121-134 (1991)
- Professional Activities
- Chair, Department of Systems Engineering and Operations Research, 1996-2001
- President, Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences
- Professional Awards
- Distinguished Faculty Award, George Mason University
- National Institute of Standards and Technology Applied Research Award
- U.S. Department of Commerce Silver Medal for Meritorious Service, 1984